Preparing for Your Shed Installation
To ensure a problem-free installation, please read the following information:
Your new building will provide you with decades of dependable service if care is exercised in the location and preparation of the building site. If you have any questions please call our customer-service desk at 888-857-4337.
Please note that permits are the responsibility of the property owner. Please check with your local building department for requirements. Reeds Ferry® has experience working with many building departments in New England. If you need assistance please call our customer-service desk at 888-857-4337 and we’d be glad to assist.
In most situations site preparation can be done easily by the property owner. Either the site is nearly level or the homeowner can correct it by spreading 3/4″ crushed stone. (See the directions below.) In situations where the grade is significantly out of level the homeowner can address it themselves or contract the work. Reeds can help put you in contact with qualified contractors. Please call our customer-service desk at 888-857-4337.
Site Preparation Before the Delivery Date
Select the EXACT location for your new building PRIOR to the delivery date. Once you’ve selected the site, consider the following:
Mark the Building Location
Mark the site using stakes to locate the four corners of the building (FIGURE 1). A three (3) foot clear work area perimeter is necessary for our crews to place your building.
Confirm the Site is FLAT and LEVEL
Frequently, customers assume because the ground is flat it is level. The building must be installed on a FLAT and LEVEL surface to function properly. (FIGURES 2 & 3).
Checking if the Location is Level
To determine if your building location is level use a LINE LEVEL – FIGURE 4 and check to see if there is a slope in the site. A LINE LEVEL can be purchased at most hardware stores or home centers for less than $2.
Locate the highest corner point of the proposed building site and using the line level determine location irregularities (FIGURE 5 & 6).
- Start from the stake at the highest point of the site (A), run a string to each of the other three stakes: A to D, A to C and A to B and check with a line level.
- The string should be tied snug to the ground on stake A (the high point). The distance between the string and the ground at stakes D, C and B must be six (6) inches or less.
- If the proposed building location is more than six inches out of level, the site will need to be altered to ensure it is FLAT and LEVEL before the building is delivered.
Notice the crushed-stone is completely level like a table-top. This base will create a perfectly level shed. Yet the ground is not level, it is about 8-inches lower in the back, but the lumber frame corrects the slope because it is set deep in the front and not as deep in the back. Once the top of the frame is level front-to-back and side-to-side it’s filled with the crushed-stone.
Altering the Site if it’s Not Level
If the site is not FLAT and LEVEL there are several ways to alter the site. If the site is within the six (6) inch limitation we can shim the building using solid concrete blocks. CAUTION: Distances greater than twelve (12) inches can make the building unstable and unsafe. The site must be leveled.
Option 1 – Fill In
Fill the low areas with processed gravel or washed stone and bring up to a level grade. NOTE: Do Not use Top Soil (Loam or sand) for the base since it does not provide a stable enough base.
Option 2 – Cut Out
The site may be altered by re-grading the area. Cut out the higher area of the site. If the materials removed are unstable (loam or sand) you may want to add some processed gravel or washed stone to the site. If the material cut from the slope is used for fill, locate the building on the cut portion of the site.
Option 3 – Pour Concrete
If the building is to be constructed on concrete sono tubes or a concrete slab, the work must be completed at least five (5) days prior to delivery to allow for the proper curing time for the concrete.
NOTE: If you plan to install concrete sono tubes we will provide you with a foot-print drawing and instructions to assist you in the proper installation and alignment of the sono tubes.
Additional Delivery Notes
The site must be clear of all debris including brush, stumps, animal waste and other impediments. Trees located in the general area must not have any branches hanging over the site closer than fourteen (14) feet from the ground.
- Please, no building changes or modifications ten (10) days prior to delivery.
- The owner does not need to be present during the installation, but should mark the 4 corners and be available by phone.
- Please allow access for a truck to park as close as possible to the site. (Note: We won’t travel the lawn without prior permission.)
- Severe inclement weather may cause a delivery delay. In that event we will contact you to schedule a new delivery date.
- Any options not requested with the initial order may require an additional delivery fee.
- If installation is impossible because the site was improperly prepared, an additional delivery fee may be required.
Please Contact Us If You Have Questions
If you need to delay installation or have any other question or concerns, please call our customer service desk at 888-857-4337, (888-85-SHEDS) or send us a message.